(Editor’s Note: This is a column written in Dec. 2008. It’s a look back some things which are still true today.)
Since its Holiday time it’s time to reflect on the greatest shopping entity in history. Here’s some fast facts about everybody’s favorite store, which we will all probably visit at least once before Christmas.
HOW BIG IS WAL-MART??
1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of everyday.
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1st to St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears+Costco + K-Mart combined.
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer.
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.
8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
10. Wal-Mart has approximately 3,900 stores in the USA, of which 1,906 are SuperCenters; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.
11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth’s population is approximately 6.5 billion.)
12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
COOL THOUGHTS AND SOME OF MURPHY’S LAW.
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.
He who hesitates is probably right.
Did you ever notice: The Roman Numerals for forty (40) are XL.
If you think there is good in everybody, you haven’t met everybody.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.
The sole purpose of a child’s middle name is so he can tell when he’s really in trouble.
There’s always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it. For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don’t hurt.
Did you ever notice: When you put the two words “The” and “IRS” together it spells “Theirs?”
Aging: Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.
The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know “why” I look this way. I’ve traveled a long way and some of the roads weren’t paved.
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of Algebra.
Ah, being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.
First you forget names, then you forget faces. Then you forget to pull up your zipper.
It’s worse when you forget to pull it down.
Long ago when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft.
Today, it’s called golf.
I GOT THE COOLEST SHIRT from the John A. Kirchenbauer Memorial Golf Tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving.
It’s Viking colored green and an gold with gold lettering spelling out Kirchenbauer’s name and the folks who sponsored the tournament. This is definitely a keeper that, along with the golf, makes this one of the better affairs at the Barbara Worth Golf Resort.
That was Kirchenbauer’s home course, for those who may not have known him. he played there almost daily . Kirchenbauer knew how to get the most mileage out of his Club membership. He played there so often a stranger would think he owned the place.
And he always walked. Kirchenbauer considered walking the essence of golf. Perhaps that’s why he stayed in such good shape. Unfortunately, he was done in by something he had no control over. An aneurism which worked its way to his heart.
This tournament is a fitting tribute to a fine man who devoted himself to the game.
Make plans to play in it next year. I know I am already. It’s great fun and a worthy cause. Thanks to Arleta Aguirre and Marv Wood for doing the planning and staging of this unique event for Holtville.
I’M IN HOG HEAVEN THESE DAYS. Or perhaps it should be called Viking Valhalla. My Minnesota Vikings are in first place in their division and played one of the most exciting games I’ve seen in years against the Chicago Bears on Sunday Night Football.
A goal line stand followed by a 99 yard touchdown pass! Who could ask for anything better than that from your hometown team?
The Holtville Vikings need to get going when it comes to having a competitive team. But the kids always give their best effort and that’s what athletics is supposed to be all about.
With Pop Warner football returning to Holtville, it could only be good news for the Vikings. Because their will be some players who develop their football skills early and stay with the game.
Hog Heaven turned into Spare Ribs as the Vikings fell to 4-8 and the roof, literally fell in on them this week with the collapse of the Metrodome ceiling. There’s always next year.