From the daily archives: Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cops arrested a southern California man at a Sunday night showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” after he began shouting about a gun and Colorado, authorities said late Monday.

Suspect Clark Tabor, 52, began his disturbance around 5:15 p.m. when he voiced his frustration that the movie had not yet started, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Tabor allegedly held his cell phone in the air and yelled, “Does anyone have a gun?” and “I should go off like in Colorado,” cops said.

Skittish witnesses were afraid the suspect was going to remove a gun from his backpack and open fire, a statement from the Norwalk Sheriff’s Station said.

A security officer entered the AMC Norwalk 20 theater and found Tabor wearing a backpack and kneeling on his knees in the second row of seats, police said.

No weapons were found during searches of the suspect, the movie theater and the surrounding areas – and there were no guns recovered from Tabor’s residence, cops said.

Tabor was booked on suspicion of making criminal threats and held in county jail in lieu of more than $51,000 bail.

“A witness saw and heard strange activity and reported it immediately,” Captain Pat Maxwell said in a statement. “This is exactly the kind of help law enforcement needs to help protect the public. ‘If You See Something, Say Something.’ The greatest deterrent to crime is often a phone call to law enforcement by a person who sees something that just doesn’t look right.”

 

BUFFALO, NY—U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul, Jr. announced today that Deon Allen, also known as “Slick,” 21, of Buffalo, New York, pleaded guilty before Chief U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny to committing a violent crime in aid of a racketeering enterprise. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He will also be ordered to pay restitution to Medicaid and to the victims’ insurance carriers for the cost of their medical care.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorney Anthony M. Bruce and Assistant Erie County District Attorney Paul Parisi, who is working as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney, Allen was a member of the Bailey Boys, a criminal gang involved in distributing cocaine and acts involving murder and robbery. The defendant admitted that, in an effort to raise his standing with other members of the Bailey Boys, he and others committed a drive-by shooting on July 29, 2011 at 211 Shirley Avenue in Buffalo which left three individuals wounded. Two of the victims suffered superficial wounds but a third, identified as “JM,” was shot in the shoulder and spent more than two months in the Erie County Medical Center recovering from his injuries.

“Our office is committed to battling violence associated with narcotics trafficking and gang activity,” said U.S. Attorney Hochul. “Today’s conviction is an important step in removing individuals who commit such acts from the streets of our community.”

The plea is the result of an ongoing investigation into the activities of the Bailey Boys and other criminal gangs being conducted by the United States Attorney’s office in close cooperation with the Erie County District Attorney’s Office, under the direction of District Attorney Frank A. Sedita, III; the Homicide Bureau of the Buffalo Police Department; under the command of Captain Michael McCarthy and Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda; the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Safe Streets Task Force, under the Direction of Special Agent in Charge Christopher M. Piehota; and the Erie County Sheriff’s Office, under the direction of Sheriff Timothy B. Howard.

Sentencing is scheduled for November 13, 2012 at 9:00 a.m. before Judge Skretny.

 
 The City of Calipatria opened a Local Assistance Center (LAC) this week for Calipatria residents that were affected by the storm damage last week.  The LAC was opened yesterday, Monday July 23rd and will continue through today, Tuesday July 24th from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm at Calipatria City Hall, 125 N. Park in Calipatria.  A number of local agencies will be present at the LAC to assist residents with any issues they may have regarding the storm damage.
The following agencies have confirmed their attendance at the LAC:
  • American Red Cross
  • Center for Family Solutions-Woman Haven Inc.
  • Imperial County Assessor’s Office
  • Imperial County Environmental Health
  • Imperial County Public Health Department
  • Imperial County Planning Department
  • Imperial County Economic Development
  • Imperial County Social Services
  • Imperial Irrigation District (IID)
  • Campesinos Unidos
County Fire Chief, Tony Rouhotas will be present at the LAC this morning from 10:00 am-12:00 pm and will be available for interviews with the media.
For additional information regarding the Calipatria LAC please call Calipatria City Hall at 760-348-4141.
 
%d bloggers like this: