American Red Cross San Diego/Imperial Counties Chapter Invites the Public to Nominate Heroes for the 2010 Real Heroes Awards
SAN DIEGO, April 21, 2010 – The American Red Cross San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter is seeking nominations from local residents, companies and media for the 8th Annual Real Heroes Breakfast. This community celebration will be held on September 30, 2010 aboard the USS Midway Museum from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
As a collective effort to recognize and thank heroes for their service to humanity and to our community, the American Red Cross is inviting all community members in San Diego and the Imperial Counties to nominate individuals and groups who have shown extraordinary courage and human compassion to help someone in need.
A 2010 Real Heroes Breakfast candidate is:
- Someone who has gone above and beyond the scope of their job to help another in need OR Someone who has intervened in a life-threatening situation and saved or assisted in saving a life.
- Someone who lives and/or works in San Diego or Imperial Counties, California
- Someone who has performed a heroic act between July 2009 and June 2010.
NOTE: Deadline for Nominations is June 15, 2010.
The Red Cross will honor those who have demonstrated outstanding community service in the following categories:
- Adult – An adult (18 +) who used lifesaving skills to save or attempt to save the life or lives of others.
- Animal – An animal that has protected a human or another animal in a time of need, or a person who has rescued an animal from a traumatic situation.
- Company – A local business that has administered exceptional safety and preparedness measures to protect staff and prepare for emergencies.
- Fire and Rescue – A professional rescuer (firefighter, EMS personnel, etc.) whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Law Enforcement – A professional law enforcement officer whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Media – A reporter, anchor, news station, publication, etc., that went above and beyond to encourage safety and preparedness.
- Medical – A medical professional whose lifesaving action went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Military – A member of the armed forces (active, reserve, retired, commissioned or noncommissioned) whose lifesaving action during active-duty status went beyond the scope of his or her job to help another in critical need.
- Youth – A youth (age 17 and under) who has gone to the aid of those in need and/or has helped to improve the welfare of their community.
- Wendell Cutting Humanitarian Award – A person or an organization that is committed to humanitarian aid efforts locally, nationally and internationally.
To nominate a Real Hero please visit www.sdarc.org or contact the Red Cross at (858) 309-1200.